Friday 28 March 2008

DVD roundup March

HMV, your sales are evil. I have no willpower to resist whenever I set foot in the store. This month has been particularly bad for what little space I have left on my shelves.

Blade Runner: Final Cut - I'm not enough of a nerd to remember all the minute differences between the various cuts. However, this one does look nice and shiny and more to the point doesn't have that wretched voiceover. I realized that I don't much like the music apart from the main theme and that the sections with the replicants are far more interesting than the rest of the film. Another good Ridley Scott commentary too. He's always so proud of the way he reuses props and parts of the set!

Children of Men - Still works on a second viewing. Actually it feels even shorter. Michael Caine's performance is his best in years. Genuinely moving.

Tell No One - Again it still works despite now knowing what the various twists and turns will be. The performances are terrific and carry you across the more unlikely pieces of the plot, of which there are many!

Amazing Grace - What I like about this so much is the way it captures a genuine sense of friendship between Wilberforce and Pitt. You feel that they have indeed known each other for years. I also love the ramshackle air around Wilberforce's home, with all the rescued animals roaming around. It immediately makes you warm to the man. Plus it doesn't shy away from scenes of politics. It trusts the audience to actually listen.

Seraphim Falls - Almost a mixture of Anthony Mann and Clint Eastwood though it goes seriously odd (in a Dead Man kind of way) at the end. I do love a good Western, especially one that treats the genre with respect. Inventive ways of killing people also a plus.

Pathfinder - OK, my "I've had a rotten week" treat to myself. Every bit as daft as you would expect for Vikings vs. Native Americans, but who cares when there's a barely clothed Karl Urban to lift the spirits:)

No comments: