Tuesday 24 June 2008

Let's Get Lost

I'm not a jazz fan. I can happily listen to Jelly Roll Morton and early New Orleans jazz, but that's about as far as it goes. The music in Let's Get Lost hasn't converted me. Perfectly pleasant but rather soporific, which could also be said of the manner in which Chet Baker speaks during this documentary. The film itself is stunning to look at, all moody black and white, and comes complete with a "is that who I think it is?" fascination (and no, I wasn't imagining things: apparently I did spot an impossibly young-looking Viggo Mortensen in a very brief shot) The most interesting aspect of the documentary is the way it gradually reveals Chet's entangled love life and the generally appalling way he behaved towards his loved ones, not to mention the venomous attitude towards each other of some of the women in his life. None of which is quite as shocking as realizing that the once beautiful young man looks as old as his mother.

No comments: