Tuesday 5 May 2009

Rodchenko and Popova

I always claim that I don't like modern art but actually that statement is far too sweeping. It's also untrue. I've long had a soft spot for Cubism, I adore Franz Marc and I like much of the Kandinsky that I've seen. I think I can now add the Constructivists to the modern art that I like. There's something deeply pleasing about the geometric constructions in the art of Rodchenko and Popova. The slight bleeding of colours in works like the Space-Force Constructions prevents Popova's paintings from feeling too rigid, while Rodchenko's spatial constructions hanging from the ceiling cast ever-changing shadows. What's particularly fascinating about the two artists in this exhibition is the multi-disciplinary nature of their art. Textile designs, theatrical costumes, set designs, book covers, advertising, graphic design, posters, architecture: they applied Constructivist principles to numerous activities, not all of which came to fruition, especially in the field of architecture. Rodchenko's photos also provide a glimpse into the artistic circles of the time, while the Workers' Room allows visitors to step back in time and see just what his practical design must have been like.

No comments: